Lately I’ve had a real sweet tooth… I have always been a lover of sweets, but I find myself boycotting my usual baking blog exploration, because I just end up with mad cravings and a pile of drool. I did get around to preparing some chocolate cupcakes though, and I could hardly wait for them to cool down so I could ice them and get down to business.
They were damn good. The recipe I’ve been using for the actual cake is no fail. They always come out extremely moist and delicious. Although I opted for a traditional cocoa frosting, the possibilities are endless. Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart (for obvious reasons… my favourite ex-con)
DEVIL’S FOOD CUPCAKES
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and pour into a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat until mixture is cooled, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla, then cocoa mixture, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and beating until just combined after each.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three- quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 15 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
Tonight a friend’s band is playing downtown, and tomorrow I get to see Megadeth, Slayer and Testament! Holy awesome batman! And speaking of metal and cupcakes, while in college a friend sent me a link to a blog that combines the two. Check out this amazing blog http://metalcakes.blogspot.com/. My two favourite things in the entire world. I can die happy now.